Friday, June 21, 2013

Hogwarts Classes - A Busy Day!

It was an eventful day for Hogwarts this week!  I had a lot of crafts and activities planned!




I made Herbology books for each child to take.  Inside I put 4 blank worksheets for them to design their own magical plants.


I had worksheets for most everything we did.  It is good to keep the kids writing during the summer so they are ready for school!  Plus, it's so great to hear their wonderful imaginations tell about their crafts!  Super kids!


Our first activity was the House Ghosts.  I had cut black construction paper to fit in a box on the worksheet. I had them put a splotch of paint (or paints as some kids decided) and then fold the paper.  When they unfolded it, they had their new House Ghost!  They then filled in information about their ghosts!



The kids really did a great job.  We glued the black paper onto their worksheets so they had a momento to keep!  I put them into their notebooks they got on the first day.  By the end of Summer Academy, they are going to have a great collection of the fun things they did!


Next we had our Transfiguration Lesson.  We grew crystals on rocks!  I got the kits at the dollar store.  Unfortunately, they didn't turn out very well, but the kids did have fun doing them!



Next, since I had a full group, we cracked marbles again.  I found bags in blue, clear and green at the dollar store.  We heated them at 500 degrees for 20 minutes and then dropped them into cold ice water.  It was fun!


Next, we took our new "Gems" and put jewelry caps on them and each child got a necklace!  I used hot glue to hold the marble on since I needed something to dry fast.  Also, the putting of the cap on was not as easy as the tutorial made it out to be, but it is still a great tutorial to follow.  You can see it HERE.



I also had the kids decorate their own wizard's hat!  I will put a copy of the blank worksheet on our printable worksheet page!


At the end of the day, my kids put glow sticks in the pool and played in the water with the eerie glow.  They really had a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment